In 1929, the Irish Capuchins arrived in Cape Town, South Africa. At present, there are sixteen Capuchins in South Africa. The Capuchins are present in four provinces in South Africa. Apart from the Irish missionaries there are also missionaries from India and from Tanzania.
We still have our Cape Town foundational parishes in Athlone (St Mary of the Angels) and Parow (Immaculate Conception) and have been in Welcome Estate (St Theresa’s) for many years.
You will find us in Malabar (Our Mother of Perpetual Help) and Charlo (San Francesco).
Once we ran three parishes in this town. We no longer have parochial responsibility, but own a house which we will reoccupy when we again have students to attend the nearby St Joseph’s Theological Institute at Cedara.
Under the jurisdiction of the South African superior, is a Capuchin house named Padre Pio and concerned with the education of new Capuchin friars. It caters for students from all over Africa. Also at this house is the office of the Damietta Peace Initiative, which is a Franciscan peace-making project founded by Br. Donal O’Mahony.
Of necessity we have worked chiefly as parish priests. The needs of the Church have made that obvious. Nevertheless, this has not altogether precluded friars from other ministries. These are examples: